The Club formed around 25 years ago and has monthly meetings as an organised activity at the Holt Railway Institute and undertake tasks around the railway.
These tasks include: -
- Cleaning steam & diesel locomotives, carriages & wagons along with the vintage lorry and dray.
- Minor tasks relating to the preservation of locos, rolling stock and other historical artifacts.
- Vegetation clearance.
- Assisting in maintaining the railway infrastructure.
- Running Weybourne Model Railway.
- Assisting at special events
- Trips to other railways.
- Train rides.
All young volunteers are supervised by responsible adult volunteers who, along with other railway staff, nurture and raise awareness of all aspects of railway safety and operations. All young volunteers must be equipped with specified PPE (personal Protective Equipment) including full overalls and safety boots.
There are plenty of opportunities for young volunteers to help outside of the monthly club meetings, where individual members can get involved in many tasks including: -
- Assisting with special events.
- Running the Weybourne Model Railway
- Special loco cleaning days.
- Distributing leaflets on trains (under the supervision of the Guard).
- Helping at the education centre.
- And much more...
All members of the Young Volunteers Club are encouraged to migrate to becoming fully-fledged volunteers upon reaching the age of 14 through a supervised transition process.
Membership is available to boys or girls between the ages of 10 and 16.
For more details, please contact the General Office at Sheringham Station:
North Norfolk Railway plc, Sheringham Station, Station Approach, Sheringham, NR26 8RA.
Tel: 01263 820800.
Fax: 01263 820801.
2017 Meeting Dates